Tuesday 29 January 2013

Wish I'd known about paint stripper before I started...

On a visit to an Antiques Shop I stumbled across an old chest of drawers.

It was paint stained, ink stained and had marks on the top surface where a mirror had been. It had turned dark brown with years of old varnish.

Oh, and it reeked of Linseed Oil! It had been coated in it for protection while in storage before the shop put it on display. I would say maybe even dunked in a vat of it. The oil kept seeping out of the wood so I couldn't put anything in the draws.

It was in desperate need of some Tender Loving Care. So much TLC that I offered £11 for it. My offer was accepted. A bargain!

It lived in my Mum and Dad's garage while I went to live in Chester to study law. Then I moved away for a job and thought I best take it with me this time...I put it in my shed. Then I needed to move for my job again.

My friend asked if I really wanted to move this tatty old chest of drawers yet again. I could see her point...it didn't look great... Exhausted from moving I decided a trip to the rubbish dump was not what I needed right now. It was pouring with rain too. I found room for it on the lorry. It was saved!

Settled into my new home I decided I really ought to start The Restoration Project. Armed with my electric sander I set to. The hours of sanding started... Another friend came over to spend time working on her project. We were both outside in the cold sanding away. She left. I continued sanding...sanding...sanding. My neighbours must have loved me!

Finally, after another house move, I finished.

I removed the old handles and added leather ones to give it a contemporary look.


Now it sits very proudly in my front room.

Not a paint or ink stain in sight.

Until tomorrow,
Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment