Monday 14 January 2013

Inspired Decoupage Memories

I would love to claim this make for myself. It's one of my most treasured things and has been since I was a child. There it sat on a table at the bottom of my Grandparent's stairs. And now it sits on my shelf...a bittersweet gain...

My Grandma was a great seamstress and artist. She gave me so much time. Teaching me how to sew, cook, crochet. Not so successful on the last one. It's the left-handed thing. They don't go together.

She used to find wooden boxes, put new clasps and hinges on them and then use them for decoupage

It must have taken hours to cut around the outside of all the edges of the flowers and butterflies. And then with her artist's eye she would finish the boxes with gold edging and layers and layers of varnish so you couldn't feel the edges of the paper under your fingers.








Another reason why I love the box so much is it is jammed packed full of postcards.



Postcards to my grandparents from my Uncles, Aunties, Cousins and Sister on their holidays, from my Uncle when he was at scout camp, even one from my Grandad when he was at scout camp, cards from my Dad when he was away with the navy and then cards from my own travels.




And then a very special postcard...with a written note on the back to say my Mum is in it...just about visible...on her way home from school.





My attempts at decoupage haven't quite been so impressive. I'm certainly inspired to continue trying.

Until tomorrow,
Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment