Thursday 3 January 2013

The 30 Year Project

I was given my first sewing machine for my 10th birthday. My trusty and much loved Singer. It came with a task though... My Mum had written each letter of the alphabet on 26 pieces of card. I had to sew each letter neatly before I was allowed to give free reign to my creativity. I passed the test! Phew!

Ever since I've been busy creating handmade items. I started small. Literally. My Sindy doll was made a set of handmade matching luggage and a wardrobe of clothes. Since then I've made clothes, angels, Christmas tree decorations and tried different sewing techniques (who knew you could take a soldering iron to a piece of material and make something amazing?).

I thought maybe its time I shared the things I've made with you.

And, I've been inspired to set myself a challenge! Everyday for the next 365 days I am going to write about a different thing I've made (or been made for me). It's no small challenge so by the end of the year I may be tempted into just posting pictures of cups of tea I've made ;). Fear not - this will be the longest bit of writing I do. I'll be too busy making from now on!

So, (or should I say Sew...) here's Day Number One's make. It's one of the first ever projects I started. It's just not one of the first projects I finished... It really did take me...ahem...30 years to finish... What can I say (and pattern makers please note!) the instructions were just not that clear... and the pre-printed material didn't match up on both sides. The 10 year old me lost the will to live and was tempted away by other projects. The 40 year old me decided it time to master the instructions! And discovered I've learnt a few other things since about matching thread and seam allowances.



If you feel inspired to take up this challenge too read the article on Etsy: Etsy - blog - Make Something Everyday for ideas. I love the one about robots! Let me know what you make if you decide to go for it.

Until tomorrow,
Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment