Sunday 30 June 2013

Vietnamese Ao dai

Perhaps not the most interesting way to spend my Sunday evening...weighing cushions!

It's amazing when you stuff cushions just how much variance in weight there can be...even though they're all the same size...

The reason I'm doing it...to enable me to average out the postage cost of my orders I receive. More importantly...I want my products to have a similar look and feel.

It has to be said...I never thought about these practicalities when I started designing and sewing!



When I was travelling around Vietnam, from Hanoi down to Ho Chi Minh, I asked a local seamstress to make an Ao dai for me.

It's the traditional costume of Vietnam. I think it is so elegant.





I chose a dark sea green/gray silk for the tunic...



 ...and an creamy white silk for the trousers.




My photo doesn't really do the costume justice...you can just about see the trousers peeking out the bottom of the tunic, which is split to just below the waist. It fits perfectly.

I'm sure...somewhere...I have a photo of me wearing it. I will have search it out!




Until tomorrow,
Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment