Monday 18 March 2013

A Restored Shipping Box

Yesterday you got to see my first attempt at decoupage (A Love of Food...on Paper). Here's my next attempt...


About 20 years ago I was given a wooden box to restore. It was very darkly varnished and had a picture of an old sailing ship on it. I wish I had taken a picture of it before making any alterations to it...




I found some wrapping paper in the National Trust shop I thought would be good to use on the box. It was made up of a collection of different Victorian style pictures.





I sanded down the box, painted it in Duck Egg Blue.









I added a new handle to the front of the box and painted it, the handles either side of the box and the corner clasps in gold.




Then I spent hours cutting the wrapping paper up into pieces and rearranged them to cover each side of the box.





A woman, wearing what looks like a toga, was cut out and placed on the top of the box and between each corner clasp.





One on the left...



and one on the right.

I added a layer of felt to the inside rim of the lid so it closes softly...and quietly.



Originally I had painted the box cream and completely covered it with paper...

with not a glimpse of paint showing.




Not sure if I made the right decision? What do you think? Sometimes I guess its down to personal choice...and then sometimes your taste changes...



I still have some wrapping paper left if I change my mind again...









Now the box sits in my bedroom with blankets sat on top of it, including the quilt from Duck Eggs, Flowers & Birds.





Until tomorrow,
Nic xx

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your lovely comment. It's always good to hear from one of my readers. Nic x

    ReplyDelete