Tuesday 12 February 2013

A Fiery Experience...part 1

I don't know about you, but with all this cold weather I just want to write about all things that keep you warm...tonight it's fire!

After my first attempts at ceramics (there's still some more photos to come) I went to a class held by a farmer's wife. She had converted one of the barns into a studio. She was a great teacher and really helped with letting your imagine run wild with ideas.

I had been on the potters wheel again. This time I'd tried my hand at porcelain and made 2 small pots. They had survived being fired in the oven nicely.

Instead of glazing the pots I was going to get to try a different technique. Putting the pot directly into a bonfire and slowly turning it until the pot changed colour. Exciting!

First I added a decoration at the top of the pot using 'slip'. Then we wrapped up warm and went outside to burn our pots in the waiting bonfire.

Here's pot number 1...



Which, as it turns out, is just the right size to hide other things in...




I've had this little horse since I was about 5. It's one of those toys that you push the bottom upwards and the toy collapses, release and it stands up again.



One day I was looking at my mantelpiece and thought something is missing. I couldn't work it out. Next time I was doing the dusting I found out. Hidden in the pot was the horse. My youngest niece had put it in there on her last visit. Apparently it had needed a holiday!

Until tomorrow,
Nic xx

No comments:

Post a Comment